Chapter Five:

Ryan turned his head and looked at her. He noticed a look of vulnerability and fear. Wanting to reassure he remained on his back, as did she, but her took her hand and linked his fingers in between hers.

"When someone dies, everyone tells you you'll be okay and that things happen for a reason. They're just being nice. It's like their BS-ing you. You never do that. Before all of this, before we slept together, I knew exactly what my relationship was with you. You've never hidden from me. You've tried, but it's like you're trying because you want me to know. You're straightforward. It's refreshing. And you want me to see you. Today when I gave Enzo to you to hold. You started to ease up with him. You can be really sweet when you want to, Kendall."

Her mouth gaped open somewhat and she scooted closer to him. Bringing her hand to his chin, she turned his head to hers and kissed him softly.

"Let's go get something to eat," she said getting up.

He sat up and smiled at her before getting up and picking up his jacket.

He held the door open for her as they entered BJ's. She surveyed the room and noticed a group of four towards the back. She took Ryan's hand as they reached a table. Sitting down she looked to see Ryan moving his chair a bit closer to her. He noticed Erica, Bianca, Opal, and Myrtle across the room and waved.

"What is he doing with her?" Erica looked bewildered. "I warned him about her."

"Ryan's a big boy, mom. He's not going to listen to you. And he seems to like her. She isn't that bad, mom."

"Bianca," Erica looked at her daughter incredulously. "Kendall will tear him a part. She does not care about other people."

"I think he's different. Just, leave them be, mom."

"I just can't imagine what good could come of this. I mean, I know Gillian wanted him to go on, but with Kendall?" Opal craned her neck to look at the two of them peruse menus.

"We're being spied on," Ryan said, still looking at the menu.

"I'm sure we are," she responded, standing up and walking towards her mother, sister, and their companions. "Hi, Binks."

"Hi, Kendall."

"Can I help you three? You seem to be very interested in what's going on over there."

"Kendall, there's no need to be rude," Erica retorted.

"Staring is rude," Kendall shot back.

"What are you doing with Ryan Lavery?" Opal asked what the others had been wondering.

"I'm having dinner with a friend," Kendall answered. "If there's nothing else, I'll be going back to that."

"What did you tell them?" Ryan drank his beer.

"That I was having dinner with a friend."

"So, you didn't say it was a date?"

"I'm not ashamed or anything Ryan. It just isn't their business what I do in my free time. I told them the truth. I said I was having dinner with my friend." She placed her hand gently over his. "I'm not ashamed of you, Ryan. I have no to reason to be."

"Kendall."

"What?"

"I'm kidding. Don't worry about it."

"Oh, right."

"But it's good to know you aren't ashamed of me."

She smiled slightly and stifled a yawn.

"Am I that boring?"

"Hey, because of you I've hardly slept that past couple of nights. And you were anything but boring."

He laughed and stood up.

"What are you doing?"

"You said you were tired. Let's take our food and go back to Myrtle's. Come on, we'll rent a movie first."

"So, a quiet night at home, just the two of us? Trying to domesticate me?"

"You? Kendall Hart? Never."

"Just checking. Let's go, Six Pack," she said, taking his hand and leading him out.

Back at Myrtle's the plopped themselves on the sofa with their food and a movie.

"It's sort of a chick movie, Ryan."

"Are you discriminating?"

"No, not at all. Just trying to warn you."

"Well, I've never seen it. And everyone says it's good."

"Well, I don't really go for the mushy romantic stuff, but this one is definitely worth seeing."

"See, well, you like it so how can we go wrong?"

"I still can't believe you've never seen ‘Casablanca'. It's a classic," she said, sliding the tape into the VCR. She kicked off her shoes and curled up on the sofa with him. Wrapping his arm around her delicate shoulders, he kissed her temple. "What was that for?"

"I don't know. I felt like it."

"Oh, okay," she settled into him as the movie began.

Nearly two hours later the final lines were being spoken on the screen and neither Ryan nor Kendall had changed positions. He heard a soft sniffle come from where she was and looked down to see a few tears welling in her eyes as the film ended.

"You're crying," he stated.

"No, I'm not," she said, trying to hide it.

"Kendall, come on. You're crying at the end of the movie. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"Whatever."

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Letting me know you."

"Oh, well. I didn't really plan it that way. It just sort of happened."

"Well, that's how relationships usually go."

"Is that what this is?"

"Well, it was always a relationship. Just, it's changed what kind in the past couple of days. Now it's a romantic relationship."

She sat up and looked at him.

"Well, it's a romantic relationship for me," Ryan shrugged. She leaned in slowly and kissed him on the cheek. He turned his face to hers, their eyes locked together.

"It's a romantic relationship," she softly agreed.

"We're dating," he added.

"Dating," she repeated, placing her hand on his head and slowly, deeply kissing him. The kiss went on until she was lying on top of him, her hands sliding underneath his shirt. "Stop," she breathlessly ordered.

"We can't."

"Not in Myrtle's living room. Besides, I'm tired, sorry," she yawned.

He brought her head back down to his chest so she was laying on top of him on the sofa, caressing her arms and bringing the throw over the both of them. He reached for the remote and turned on whatever late night talk show was playing. Not long after he noticed she had fallen asleep and he too closed his eyes.

He opened his eyes to see Gillian standing in front of him, watching Kendall and he. He made no move, but his eyes went wide and his mouth opened.

"What are you doing here?"

Gillian moved towards him and took his left hand in hers. She kissed it and removed the gold band around his finger. He looked at his hand, not sure what to think.

Ryan again opened his eyes and looked toward the VCR clock, noting the time as three in the morning. He remembered his dream and looked at his hand, noticing the ring still in it's place. He looked down at Kendall's face, peacefully in slumber. He brought his hand to brush aside the stray hair near her eyes. He ran his thumb along her jaw before closing his eyes again and going back to sleep, pulling her just a little bit closer to him.

Chapter Six:

The sunlight streamed through the curtains. Kendall shifted her weight, still on top of Ryan. She slowly opened her eyes and noticed his hand on her bare arm, the throw now on the ground. She looked at the VCR clock and laid her head back on his chest, closing her eyes. She moved her hand to wears his was on his chest, linking her fingers with his. She began to doze off again when the front door slammed shut.

Groaning, she sat up to find the last person she wanted to see staring at her. Ryan looked over and then sat up.

Before either woman could sputter any insults Myrtle and Bianca came down the stairs.

"Welcome to the party," Kendall muttered. She looked up at the clock again and stood up quickly. "I'm late," she yelled, running up the stairs.

The others stood, unsure of what to say.

"Morning," Ryan said.

"Morning, Ryan," Bianca smiled.

"I didn't expect to see you here, Ryan. I don't see enough of you anymore," Myrtle smiled.

"Yeah, I'll, um, I'll be around a lot more often now. Promise. I should get going though. I have to get to the station. I'll wait for Kendall to finish, though."

"The station?" Erica moved towards the center of the room.

"Yeah, I'm taking care of things for Liza while she's away."

"Just terrible what's going on with her," Myrtle sympathized.

"Yeah, well, this is the least I could do to help. Hey, Myrtle, sorry about crashing on your couch. We were just watching a movie and before I knew it, she was asleep. I didn't want to wake her up."

"You really like her, don't you? I'm going to get some coffee," Bianca said. "Do you want some?"

"Sure, thanks," he answered.

"Mom, Myrtle?"

"No, thank you, sweetie," Erica sat in the chair across from Ryan. "Ryan, are you sure about this?"

"Erica, she's your daughter."

"Yes, I know. That's why I am warning you. Ryan, after Gillian I would hate to see you hurt. I know what Kendall can do."

"Don't bring Gillian into this, Erica. And you don't give Kendall nearly enough credit."

"Ryan, I am just trying to help."

"Erica, you are not going to get the chance to say I told you so. Alright?" Ryan stood and went towards the staircase. He stopped, seeing Kendall in her SOS uniform smiling at him. She reached the bottom of the steps, still smiling.

"I'll see you tonight?"

"You can count on it. I'll come by SOS after work." He leaned in and kissed her before leaving.

Kendall looked at her mother and Myrtle. "Nice try, Erica. Bye Binks," Kendall yelled into the kitchen before leaving.

Ryan walked slowly, taking in the concrete. It looked cold and uninviting. He looked at the bronze plaque with her name on it.

"Hi, Princess." He smiled and shrugged. "It's a once sided conversation, huh? Um, I had this dream last night. You were in it. I've dreamt about you a lot since you left. I don't even think I can count how many I've dreamt that you've come back to me and we were happy. Last night was different. Last night, you took off my wedding ring while I was asleep with Kendall. I don't read into things too much. But, I met Kendall and, well, you probably know. I like her, Gilly. I like her a lot. And I know you want me to move on. So, that's what I am going to do. I don't know where things will go with her. But I think I would be missing out if I didn't give it a shot. Anyway, I'm going to put this some place special, okay?" He waved his left hand in the air. "I love you, Gillian. I always will, you know that."

Ryan turned and left and walked across the Wildwind grounds.

SOS was busy. The lunch crowd had invaded and Kendall was swamped. Coming to a table she sighed, "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Have a seat, Kendall. Take a break."

Kendall looked to see Hayley sitting there with the baby. She did as told and sat across from them.

"How are things?"

"Fine," Kendall answered, not sure what was going on.

"You know, it was a little weird seeing you with Ryan yesterday when I came to pick up my son and my sister."

"I'm sure it was."

"Kendall, I remember everything that happened last time you were in Pine Valley."

"I'm sure that you do."

"Do you know that Ryan and I are very good friends?"

"Yeah, I do. He respects you a lot."

"And I respect him. Kendall, if you've changed, then I wish you and Ryan the best of luck. If not, watch your back."

"So, you can tell something is going on between us?"

"It's all over your face. His too. And frankly I haven't seen that look in his eyes in a really long time. Which is why I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt."

"I'll be straight. I don't even know if I've changed."

"How do you feel about Ryan, though?"

"Hayley, if I haven't told him these things, what makes you think I'll tell you?"

"I'm just looking out for him."

"I understand that completely. I'll tell you one thing, though. He's worth looking out for. Just don't tell anyone I said that. Wouldn't want to ruin my reputation." Kendall turned on her heel and went behind the bar.


| Story Index | Fan Fiction | Library | Main Page |

morganrosella@hotmail.com

Ryan and Kendall are the property of Jean Dadario Burke, ABC, and All My Children. This site is in no way affiliated with All My Children, ABC, Cameron Mathison, or Alicia Minshew. It is for entertainment purposes only. Screen captures were obtained from ABC Screen Captures.